In 1576, the joiners petitioned the Assembly for incorporation as a company separate from the wrights, slaters and sawyers; they received a charter from the Mayor and citizens in 1578-79. By the early 17th century, the carvers and turners were also a part of this Company.
Woodcarvers were in demand both for embellishing timber framed buildings and for furniture making; turners produced wooden objects with the aid of a lathe. Previously the turners had been associated with the fletchers, bowyers, coopers and stringers.
During the 17th century, the Company was involved in several disputes with craftsmen in related trades, particularly the wrights and slaters. It was amongst the companies which met at the Phoenix Tower, although by 1835 it met once a year at a local inn. By that date, there were 33 members of the company.