Barber Surgeons

This Company combined the crafts of medicine, hair trimming and candle making. It is known to have been in existence by 1475 and received charters from Chester Corporation in 1540 and 1550.

Company meetings were held in the Phoenix Tower and in numerous local inns. In 1698, the company comprised 2 aldermen, 2 stewards and 41 members, but by 1911, when Frank Simpson wrote his history of the company, there was only one surviving member.